Build a Solid Understanding of Today's Banking System
These books I have read entirely or substantially. Occasionally I write in-depth reviews on items in the list below. Please send suggestions for books and other readings to add to this list.
On Banking and Finance History
- The Founders and Finance, Thomas K. McCraw, 2012 The Belknap Press of Harvard University Press
- This Time is Different, Carmen M. Reinhart and Kenneth S. Rogoff, 2009 Princeton University Press
- Lords of Finance, Liaquat Ahamed, 2009 Penguin Press
- Panic, Michael Lewis, 2009 W.W. Norton &Co., Ltd.
- The Ascent of Money, Niall Ferguson, 2008 The Penguin Books
- The Panic of 1907, Robert F. Bruner and Sean D. Carr, 2007 John Wiley & Sons
- Dead Bank Walking, Richard H. Smith, 2000 Oakhill Press
- Citicorp: The Story of a Bank in Crisis, Richard Miller, 1993 McGraw-Hill Inc.
- A Dangerous Fortune (fiction), Ken Follett, 1993 Dell
- The Troubled Money Business, Richard D. Crawford and William W. Sihler, 1991 HarperCollins Publishers
- Breaking the Bank, Gary Hector, 1988 Little, Brown and Company
- Secrets of the Temple, William Greider, 1987 Simon & Schuster Inc.
- A History of Modern Banks of Issue, Charles A. Conant, 1915 G.P. Putnam's Sons
- Banking, William A. Scott, 1914 A.C. McClurg & Co.
- The Hour Between Dog and Wolf, John Coates, 2012 the Penguin Press
- The Most Important Thing, Howard Marks, 2011 Columbia University Press
- Realism in Lending, P. Henry Mueller and William W. Sihler, 2011 The Risk Management Association
- Smart Growth, Edward D. Hess, 2010 Columbia Business School Publishing
- The Intelligent Investor, Benjamin Graham updated with commentary by Jason Zweig, 2003 Harper Business Essentials
- The New Financial Order, Robert J. Shiller, 2003 Princeton University Press
- The Intelligent Asset Allocator, William Bernstein, 2000 McGraw-Hill
- Against the Gods: The Remarkable Story of Risk, Peter L. Bernstein, 1996 John Wiley & Sons, Inc.
On the Financial Crisis
- The Lost Bank: The Story of Washington Mutual, Kirsten Grind, 2012 Simon & Schuster
- Bull by the Horns, Sheila Bair, 2012 Free Press
- The Financial Crisis and the Free Market Cure, John A. Allison, 2012 McGraw Hill
- What Caused the Financial Crisis, Edited by Jeffrey Friedman, 2011 University of Pennsylvania Press
- Reckless Endangerment, Gretchen Morgenson and Joshua Rosner, 2011 Times Books
- The Financial Crisis Inquiry Report, majority and two dissenting opinions, 2011
- Senseless Panic, William M. Isaac, 2010 John Wiley & Sons, Inc.
- Chain of Blame, Paul Muolo and Mathew Padilla, 2010 John Wiley & Sons
- Freefall, Joseph E. Stiglitz, 2010 W.W. Norton & Co., Ltd.
- All the Devils are Here, Bethany McLean and Joe Nocera, 2010 Portfolio/Penguin
- Crash of the Titans, Greg Farrell, 2010 Crown Business
- The Great Financial Crisis, John Bellamy Foster and Fred Magdoff, 2009 Monthly Review Press
- Too Big to Fail, Andrew Sorkin, 2009 Viking
- The Sellout, Charles Gasparino, 2009 HarperCollins
From Regulators' Websites
- Principles for the Sound Management of Operational Risk (19 pages) Basel Committee on Bank Supervision, 2011 http://www.bis.org/publ/bcbs195.pdf
- The Director's Book, Office of Comptroller of the Currency, 2010http://www.occ.gov/publications/publications-by-type/other-publications-reports/director.pdf
- Duties and Responsibilities of Directors, (30 pages) Office of the Comptroller of the Currency, 1998http://www.occ.gov/publications/publications-by-type/comptrollers-handbook/directors1.pdf
On Macroeconomics and Markets
- Crisis Economics: A Crash Course in the Future of Finance, Nouriel Roubini and Stephen Mihm, 2010 The Penguin Press
- The Holy Grail of Macroeconomics: Lessons from Japan's Great Recession, Richard C. Koo, 2009 Wiley
- The Myth of the Rational Market, Justin Fox, 2009 Harper
- When Markets Collide, Mohamed El-Erian, 2008 McGraw Hill
- Deflation, A. Gary Shilling, 1999 McGraw-Hill
- The Road to Serfdom, F.A. Hayek, 1994 edition with introduction by Milton Friedman, The University Chicago Press
On the 100X Risk of Debt and Deficits
- Comeback America, David M. Walker, 2009 Random House
On 10X Risk
- Only the Paranoid Survive, Andrew S. Grove, 1996 Currency Doubleday
Richard J. Parsons is an Author, Speaker, Educator and Business Advisor in the Financial Services industry. After a 31 year career at Bank of America, Rick founded the RJ Parsons Group in 2012. Rick published his first book in 2013, "Broke: America's Banking System - Common Sense Ideas to Fix Banking in America." He can be reached through his website rjparsonsgroup.com or via social media including @RJParsonsGroup and LinkedIn.